Sunday, May 27, 2007

Connect Day 26

Matthew 7:1-6

Timeless Principles
v1-2 Don't judge others, consider others better than yourself. Note that judging is different from correcting.
v3-5 We can easily look at others' mistakes, but don't neglect your own imperfections.
v6 Be wise with your words. Speak only at a level where you can communicate effectively.


Exposition
Jesus recommends that we deal with the issues in our own lives first because we will be more effective in ministering if we have a good testimony. If we are still struggling in the same sin, the counsel we give may be viewed as hypocritical, even though the message we give is the absolute truth. rom 14:13 exhorts us not to stumble others by living a righteous live.


Discipleship
I enjoy serving in our church ministries because we always commend and honour one another. Even when I know that I have made mistakes, they are still generous with their encouragements. In turn, I learn to see people for who they are, not only what they do.
I always remind myself of the times when I was a new believer, still struggling in a lot of issues. Or the times when I just moved to another city. Don't despise humble beginnings Zec4:10, Job 8:7, but believe that God will make us increase to be the head Deu 28:13.


Devotion
There's a lot of people in our church, so we don't meet up very often. Sometimes I see the person every week, but don't really talk to them. And there are others that I talk to frequently. Sometimes that leads to favouritism, which is not good. I should be more careful not to show favouritism.
James 2 also warns against partiality in obeying the bible. All sins are serious in God's eyes. I acknowledge that I am a sinner, and I have to be alert against all schemes of the devil.


Application
v6 Doesn't mean that you don't preach to others, but don't waste time on those who continually mock the gospel. Yet don't close the door on them.
I need to pray for more grace so that I can see others with more compassion.
What are the planks in my own eyes? I need to control my speech, be more sensitive to other people's feelings.


Spiritual Experience
Today we learn from Habakkuk about how he was transformed from someone who complained to God into someone who was in awe of God's sovereignty. I'm a notorious complainer as well, especially in the areas that I know well. But I need to be quick to listen instead (James 1:19). Even while listening, I have a tendency to lash out my thoughts, but sometimes people just want my ears.

No comments: