Friday, May 18, 2007

Guitar Legends on Youtube

I've been back in Melbourne for 3 days. As usual, I'm struggling with jetlag. I used to recuperate very quickly, but I guess age is catching up. And the cold. But it was a pleasant flight, the landing was smooth as silk. I enjoyed the aerial beauty of Melbourne City in 3D, can't compare it with Google Earth.

During these few days, I've been trying to absorb all my experiences in Thailand, and seeking God for life directions. There's a bazillion opportunities for me, yet there's so little time. Jesus is coming back soon!

In the midst of my daily struggle, I've been feasting on what I couldn't access in Thailand.




This is a video of Doyle Dykes playing White Rose for Heidi. I met Doyle Dykes in 2003, at Guitar Garage in Brisbane. It was a free concert. I was an amateur (still am), he showed me what playing guitar is all about, he signed my guitar, and since then he became my personal hero. He is truly blessed in music, a legendary country fingerstyle virtuoso. I think he tickles his guitar more than his wife. Now I'll share a secret that I've kept for many years: If anyone wants to give me a truly appreciated birthday gift, it would be the orange Desert Rose (DDSM), his signature guitar.

On a less personal note, but a legend nevertheless, Tommy Emmanuel is an Australian icon. Just like Doyle Dykes, he has played with Chet Atkins, and in fact, Chet honoured the rare title of "Certified Guitar Player" on TE. For those in Thailand, it's worth crossing the border just to watch this video of TE playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps with Jake Shimabukuro. I found it on Philip Chee's blog. Now, the only common denominator between TE and me is that we both play on Maton.

No comments: