Saturday, May 26, 2007

Connect Journal: Day 25

cartoon from www.weblogcartoons.com

Matthew 6:25-34

Timeless Principles
v25 The word worry comes from the word 'merizo', which means 'to divide into parts'. The word suggests that there is a distraction that preoccupies the mind, and causes anxiety, stress, and pressure. Jesus is saying that it is sinful to let our mind be distracted by the things that we want, or even need, because God looks after our best interests (Rom8:28).
v33 Seek FIRST God's kingdom, and everything WILL be added unto you. Again, the priority is God. Focus on God. Be refined. God knows our needs, He promised that He will provide for you.


Exposition
In 1943, Abraham Maslow came up with the Hierarchy of Needs which shows that in our sinful nature, we tend to seek our own needs first before we can come to God. While there are basic flaws in the theory, there's a major element of truth in what he said. Jesus knew that too, and He knew better (Luke 4:4). We tend to worry about the physical, and neglect the spiritual. But Jesus is saying that we must not neglect the spiritual, and God will take care of the physical instead. Now, that's radical. But God proved to us in Deu 8:2-3 that He does indeed take care of us.

Discipleship
Now, how can we tell whether we are putting God's kingdom first? Look at your bank statement, personal budget, diary, journal, or any other personal records, and see the proportion that you spend on God, in terms of time, money, and other resources. Do we give tithes to God? How much quality time do we spend with God daily? Are you spending any resources that grieves God?

Devotion
This passage is an encouragement for me because I know that God is taking care of me even as I trust Him for daily needs. He has been true and faithful to His words.
Sometimes God stretches our faith over and beyond what we have experienced before, and we start to question God. But true faith (Heb11:1) like that of a child prevails in these circumstances, with the assurance that God has plans to prosper us, not to harm us, but to give us a hope and future (Jer 29:11).

Applications
In the past few weeks, I have been asking God for a lot of basic needs, and getting very anxious about it. But God knows my struggles, and He constantly reminds me that He has already given the provisions. And true enough, day by day I see that God continues to provide. I always have enough. Then I question myself again, since God is taking such good care of me, how should I spend my time? Instead of worrying and trying to fix problems my own way, I can spend this time on other things that will please God! How great is our God!

Spiritual Experience
Today, at worship practice, Jessica shared about God's consuming fire, a fire that refines us and the same fire that brings judgment on sins.
The bible talks about baptism of Holy Spirit, then Baptism of Fire. After we get baptised in HS, then what? This fire is meant to refine our character. We should allow God to have His way in us. When the fire burns, it's hot and painful. But as a result, we will qualify as a radiant bride for God.
Just some quick verses before I sleep:
Daniel 7:9, talking about flaming throne
Isaiah 33:14, consuming fire, judgment, holiness
2 king 6:17 God's protection
Deu 4:24 God's jealousy
Isa 50:10-11 fire that guides men

God desires holiness because He is holy. Do we reflect God? How can the church lead, or have revival, if we are not refined? Is there anything in your life that grieves God?

God reminded me of the roast pork that I ate for dinner last night. It was the fat portion. Then God reminded me that all the fat portion belongs to God (Lev 3:16-17). So, don't eat the fat, it's not good for you anyway. I thought that was it. Pretty tough word. But not only that, God also convicted me that I must give the best portions in my life to God. Now, that's very hard
! But I know that's the best for me :)


Last night I received a prophecy from a dear brother:

I would like to tell you that God is in the process of
healing you. and after the healing, you will experience the mighty works of the Lord. But in no distance time the healing will be completed and you will see the wonders of the Lord

Amen! Glory to God!!

No comments: