Sunday, May 13, 2007

Take My Breath Away!

Today is Sunday, and just like every good, bible believing, Holy Spirit empowered Christian, I went to church. It was at the carpark beside Royal Benja Hotel, 14th floor. The service was in Thai, but we had english translation. This service was interesting. I mean, I have been to hundreds of church services, but I noticed a few things that I've never seen before.

I've had my name written on sticker as a first time visitor in other churches, but they also gave me a notebook that has the pastor's family portrait on the cover, presented in a paper bag with a welcome message from the pastor. Plus, they gave me a little flower candle in plastic wrap, tied up with paper flower, and a welcome message from the church: Hope of Bangkok Church, Sukhumvit. And the winner: a mini curry puff in airtight plastic wrap. I'm sure you've never had it before. What a way to say that they care about me.

After the preaching was over, I immediately turned my head to the right, and I was surprised to see a table already prepared with food on it, and chairs neatly arranged around it. Apparently some groups would arrange to have lunch in the hall. Someone bought all sorts of local food in bulk and distributed to the groups.

I joined their bible study, with a group who are sold out for World Mission. I happened to sit beside a pastor who will be studying at a bible college in Melbourne, starting in July. Now, that's too much of a coincidence. I've been contemplating whether to go to that bible college, because it's a bit far, and I don't know which course to take. But if someone from Bangkok WANTS to go there, then what's stopping someone from Melbourne?

I ended up joining a second service, designed to train up those who will be involved in world mission, so that they can practice running a service in foreign language. It was a humbling experience, seeing how ordinary people put in their best to serve God.

And of course, God loves to reward His children with great food on Sunday evening. Especially today =D I went to Sam Yan, a restaurant on a market near Chulalongkorn University. Oh boy, it's the climax for my Thai food feasting! No more Tom Yum Goong, but all the 5 stars dishes! If you don't mind some baby roaches crawling on the table occasionally, then I strongly recommend this place!

After dinner, I went to Suan Lum Night Bazaar. Rumours has it that you can't go there in the future cos someone will convert it into condominiums. I like this market, it's much cleaner than Chatuchak market. There's a restaurant offering a puppet show. The market is divided into several building blocks. It looks like a cross between shopping centre and flea market.

I suppose that concludes my adventure in Thailand. I would like to thank everyone in Thailand for making this trip such a memorable and fruitful experience. I love you guys so much that if I don't leave tomorrow, I might consider spending the rest of my life here.

Tomorrow forecast: I will fly to Singapore at 7.45am. I hope I don't miss the flight. I only have 12 hours to spend in Singapore, and there's a lot of things to do!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo MH,

TQ ya 4 sharing ur stories... I'm glad that u had a fabulous & super blessed trip in Thailand!! I'm expecting u to grow physically & also spiritually when u get back to Melbourne & share all the blessing with us all...Hehe...

Btw, can I nominate u 4 giving testimony one of this Sunday?? I think u have more than plenty of blessings to share. Can't keep it 4 ur self... must share dong!! :-) May be u can encourage us all to go 4 mission trip & u can offer urself to be the tour guide 4 next mission trip?? How's that?? ^_^

Hey, when r u coming back ya?
Do u miss us? Anyhow, we miss you bro... You know, last Sunday we had a great Mother's Day Celebration... Family Group performed a special drama... actually I thought I didn't have to perform drama since I went to Thailand for the conference... but they got my name in the script... Anyhow, it was really a memorable experience 4 us all... we couldn't stop laughing...& good bonding time 4 us all... Oh yah, we also sang the family song & then the whole church took photo together loh. Can you imagine having 160+ adults & kids try to squeeze in one photo? it was awesome to see so many people including the parents & visitors join us in the photo. We really thank God for the family of God... btw, we need to stick ur face in the photo since u were not there ^^

So plz come back soon & bring back the Fire of God, Amen!!
C'ya & talk to you soon...

Anonymous said...

Hello, Koko... :)

I believe it's been a great trip so far!! and God has instilled something in your heart...may the fire of His love consumes you and spread to the lives around you.

So when are you coming back to Melbourne?

I might be planning for a short trip soon...hope to catch up ! ( this time for real!! )..hehe..

De2

chosenfriend said...

Hallo,

Thank you for the comments. Sure, I don't mind giving testimony, but please tell me the scope, otherwise I might end up preaching :P

~MH